GrassGro Farm System Model
Self replacing Merino flock (55kg mature ewe weight)
16 Sept / 15 Dec
Ewe Replacements & Wethers
Ewe replacements enter main flock on 2 Jan at 16 months of age. Surplus young ewes are sold at 16 months of age (Jan). Wethers are retained for another year and sold between June and Oct as 3 year olds.
Annual DSE Rating
Phalaris, speargrass, poa tussock and sub clover
Based on SILO Gridded data (last 30 years).
Showing location of the moisture probe and also the 5km grid used for modelling ad forecast purposes.
Projected green herbage available relative to historic variation
- Currently tracking in top 25% of years on record
- Poor conditions until October 31 will result in pasture availability in the bottom 50% of years on record
- Average conditions will see pasture availability in the top 25% of years on record
- Really good conditions will see pasture availability in the top 10% of years on record
Plant available soil water (modelled)
- Plant available water (calculated as an average over the last 3 days) represents water held across the entire pasture root zone
- At this time of year, for the wettest 10% of cases the soil has held 68mm or more and is currently holding 57mm
- Currently the PAW is wet relative to historic variation
- Ground cover should be managed carefully and maintained at over critical level of 70% to prevent erosion
- Current ground cover of 9900% is greater than the minimum ground cover target
- There is a low risk (0% chance) of dropping below this level
Female Condition Score
- Condition scores are currently above average for this time of year
- Poor conditions until October 31 will result in a condition score well above average
- Average conditions will see a condition score well above average
- Really good conditions will see a condition score well above average
- Potential liveweight of weaned male progeny from the forecast pasture levels
Feeding Projections for Weaners
- The amount of supplementary feed per head per day and the time when feeding will start at 3 percentile levels
Total Supplement Fed
- The probability of the total supplement fed in the three month forecast period exceeding the value shown on the horizontal axis (kg/head) for the 3 age groups of females
- There is a very low chance of needing to supply feed to maidens, mature females or weaner females at this time.